Ten years ago, I put up my first post on this blog. I had just set up my first virtual server – using Linode and Apache/PHP… and decided to put up a WordPress blog. Many things have changed in the last ten years. I’ve moved several times. I’ve had cats pass on, and have become the guardian of different ones. My marriage has changed radically. Two and a half years ago, I went back to school to study engineering – which changed my life pretty drastically. Despite all this, my website has remained, essentially, unchanged. I’ve changed machines, software versions, IP addresses, domain servers and, practically, everything else about my setup. Despite this, I haven’t broken any URLs in ten years. There is something to be said for that.
To my tiny handful of readers: Happy Holidays.
I’ve been updating the Python and Cypress resources in small increments. Specifically, the Python resources have been revamped to the point where they provide links to everything you need to teach yourself enough Python to be dangerous.
Watch this space for future developments.
In honor of the Intel hackathon, I have set up the “Galileo Resources” page. The link is listed above (under the title bar).
I ran into a problem that wasn’t well documented on the forums, and am (again) writing a blog post for my own later edification.
When you open Audacity it enumeates all the ALSA devices on the system. One of the steps it takes is to enumerate Bluetooth audio devices (to support recording from Bluetooth headsets). If Bluetooth is enabled and there’s a bluetooth audio device that the system cannot connect to, Audacity will hang for an arbitrary period of time (long).
The easiest fix is to temporarily disable Bluetooth when working in Audacity. I’ll post any further developments here if there are any.
My blog was effectively inactive for quite a while. When I decided to
revive the beast, I moved it to a new URL, changed the theme, and
generally did the grunt work to make it look reasonable. Rather than
playing with server side paths excessively, though, I decided to do a
Wordpress export, create a new instance with a new database, and then
import the old data into that instance.
Moving the blog went well, with a little help from Apache mod_rewrite to
keep all my old links from becoming 404s. Setting up post by mail did
not work so well – as the documentation is truly marginal at this point.
This post is effectively a note to myself (and anyone else who finds it
handy) on how it’s done.
Setup is a three step process. The first step is well described in the
documentation (Post to your blog using email « WordPress Codex). You need to
set up a mail account with POP3 support, a very obscure name, and a
secure password. The second step is also straightforward; enter that
information into the appropriate setup tab of your WordPress
installation. The big gotcha is that for this to work well, you need a
script that runs the wp-mail.php script in the root of your WordPress
installation on a regular basis. I used a cron job running on the server
which called ‘wget’ with the URL of the wp-mail.php script. This lets
Wordpress check for the presence of mail, and process it correctly if
My crontab entry looks like this:
'*/15 * * * * nobody wget -O - -q -t 1 http://jricher.com/wp-mail.php'
I’m about halfway through migrating a setup I’ve been using for about 3 years to a new server. Life has finally started to get less interesting, so I temporarily have time to update things. I also have the time to do all the minor work that’s required to properly maintain my websites and servers. I will say, though, that it is taking more time that I initially expected.
It’s quite amazing how much cruft can accumulate seemingly on its own.