I put in another long blinking night doing systems administration. Lessons learned…
- Mysql 4.0.x doesn’t like quotes around the database names in the ‘use’ command
- Mysql 4.0.x doesn’t like ‘default charset=latin1’
- Mysql 4.1.x mysqldump outputs both of those – thus requiring use of emacs to make things work when you’re migrating/moving databases between the two.
- SCP rocks 😉
- it’s possible to upgrade the OS of a linode from ubuntu 4.10 to 5.04 (warty warthog to breezy badger) by editing the sources.list file and using apt-get. It works well, but you’ll get awefully tired of staring at the screen with white knuckles before it’s all over.
- Rsync also rocks 🙂
- Most people wouldn’t believe how much stuff you can really run on a single linode.